Fonts and Licenses…

• April 11, 2018 at 5:27 pm #1458
    Imax68
    Participant

Hey Mike, so I do screen printing and I work with fonts that I download from the web. I know you work with signage and was wondering what you guys do about using customers designs using fonts.

Have you ever had an instance where a customer gave you a design with a certain font and had the designer of that font come back to you saying that you can’t use it because a license for that font wasn’t purchased?

How do you go about doing that job not knowing for sure that the design/font they used is ok to use commercially?

What I’m getting at, I did a job for someone, I took pictures and posted them on my social media accounts for advertising. I had the designer of the font contact me saying that I wasn’t allowed to use that font because a commercial use license wasn’t purchased. I ended up paying the license so there wouldn’t be any trouble. Now I own the license to use it commercially.

I hope that makes sense…

April 13, 2018 at 1:19 pm #1460
    Apache

licenses vary, according to the creators wishes, so you really should check out the font license your customer wishes to use.  There should be an end-user license attachment to every font you download or buy, or contact the vendor.

As a designer, both you and your client may need a license to use the font legally, again, check the EULA to see if it allows you to sub-license a font.  In some instances, you may even need a license for every computer the font is installed on.

April 13, 2018 at 3:38 pm #1461
    Imax68
    Participant

yea, so far I have been lucky with the designs that I have done with downloaded fonts…but there are those rare occasions. I just don’t want to get nailed over a customers design that I screen print. I just had a lady yesterday ask me for a quote for some shirts, and I looked up the font that she used and it wasn’t a free commercial use. I asked her if she had bought the extended/commercial use license to use the font and she responded with “no, isn’t that  your job”…lol…so I responded with, “i can do that, sure, I will just add it to the quote”, haven’t heard back from her…There are a lot of screen printers who nab designs off the internet and use them without paying for them, I get my designs from stock photo websites and buy the extended/commercial license so I can print and sell them.

I did happen to find a website that has free commercial use of fonts, a few ask for donations, usually around $5, but most are free for commercial use.

April 13, 2018 at 10:14 pm #1465
    Apache

yeah, but if it is a shirt she is selling, or for a business, you both may need to buy a license for the font..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.